Tavistock Relationships is one of the four core members of The Relationships Alliance. This corsortium, whose other core members are Relate, Marriage Care and One Plus One, exists to ensure that good quality personal and social relationships are more widely acknowledged as central to our health and wellbeing.
The Relationships Alliance's vsion is of a future in which strong and stable couple, family and social relationships are the basis of a thriving society.
Its mission is to develop and support strong and stable couple, family and social relationships by:
- Championing the importance of relationships so that they are valued in all aspects of public policy and across national and local government.
- Helping the media, politicians, policy makers and public service providers to understand how relationships matter.
- Generating and disseminating high quality information, insight and research on the importance and impact of supporting relationships.
- Growing the market place for relationship support so that more relationships are supported in more ways.
- Developing the capacity of the local relationships support sector so that they are able to adapt to rapidly changing public policy.
Couple, family and social relationships are increasingly taking centre stage in public policy. The role and experiences of families are likely to play a significant part in the policy debate in the run up to the 2015 General Election – especially the situation among families facing the combined pressures of stagnant wages and increases in housing, energy and food costs as a result of the recent global recession.
This manifesto, the first of its kind from the Relationships Alliance, sets out a range of policy ideas to take public policy about relationships from the margins to the mainstream. We will only create the necessary conditions for relationships to thrive if they are put at the heart of public policy and here we outline twelve policy ideas to enable this to happen.
In addition to its manifesto, the Relationships Alliance has produced a number of other policy and policy-related publications:
- Opportunities for relationship support: a set of diverse case studies
- Developing the capability of the health visiting workforce to offer early relationship support: a policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- Couple relationships and mental health: a policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- The role of children’s centres in supporting parental relationships: a policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- Couple relationships and work; work and couple relationships - a policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- Couple relationships and health and wellbeing in later life: a policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- What do couple relationships have to do with children's academic achievement? A policy briefing from the Relationships Alliance
- Relationships - the missing link in public health: a report by the Relationships Alliance
- Relationships Alliance toolkit on NHS reforms: a toolkit to help local relationship support managers, relationship educators and counsellors understand the changes in the NHS and the public health sector
- Relationships, recession and the recovery: the role of relationships in generating social recovery