Couple and Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy
Welcome to Our Clinical Courses
With nearly 80 years of expertise, Tavistock Relationships is the world leading centre of excellence for couple and individual counselling and psychotherapy training.
In the UK, we are the only organisation to offer specialist clinical trainings with a relationship focus. Human beings rely on relationships to survive and thrive. Our trainings equip therapists to work with individuals and couples to help them understand themselves, improve their relationships and create better lives for themselves and their families.
Many people choose to come to Tavistock Relationships for therapy because of a relationship difficulty of some sort. Our services last year delivered more than 20,000 sessions with couples and individuals, and over the last three years, our provision has grown by almost 25 per cent. This growth necessitates the need for more trained clinicians specialising in this area.
Because we are committed to providing the best therapy for couples and individuals, we select our candidates very carefully. Every year we have a high number of applicants and there is a rigorous selection process. To train and qualify with Tavistock Relationships, the leading institution in the field is an achievement that marks you out as an expert among your peers and with clients.
Why study with us?
• Tavistock Relationships is a pioneer in the field. You will benefit from our long history of research, training and best practice.
• Choice and career flexibility. We are unique in offering a training in both couple and individual therapy, ensuring you will have greater options in your career.
• Teaching and supervision is provided by senior staff. All our trainings and supervisions are delivered by highly experienced staff at Tavistock Relationships.
• In-house placements. We are one of the few trainings in the UK to provide placements for students, meaning you don’t need to worry about finding an external organisation in which to complete your clinical hours.
• Career or ongoing work opportunities. Our service is run by senior staff, former students and current students, and you will have the opportunity to work within our world-leading clinical services.
• Be part of TR’s lively and growing community. After graduation you will be able to join our alumni group, and take advantage of our high-quality CPDs and conferences, which will help you to keep on top of recent developments in the field and to further develop your clinical practice.
• We offer an innovative range of new and established courses, with options for remote learning and varying entry levels.
• Accreditations: BPC, BACP
Announcement: Diversity Bursaries
Tavistock Relationships are offering dedicated bursaries for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic students across all of our Trainings. These include: Foundation level courses, psychosexual training, and clinical trainings in psychodynamic and psychoanalytic couple psychotherapy. With these bursaries we are seeking to increase the racial diversity both of our therapy trainings and across the profession as a whole. These bursaries cover up to 100% of the cost of our trainings, and eligibility criteria include the following:
- Self Identity as a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic student (minority ethnic is defined as people of non-white descent)
- Meet the entry criteria of the course
- You will need to demonstrate genuine need for financial support to join the training
- We are looking for applicants who have potential to develop within our organisation and the wider community
- Bursary does not cover personal therapy costs
How to Apply
Firstly, a candidate needs to apply for a training at TR. If they are offered a place on that training they can then apply for a bursary which would be reviewed by the bursary selection committee.
For further information, please contact Becky Walker at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here you’ll find everything on offer, from short or specialist trainings to our Foundation Certificate course and through to our masters programmes (see the course links below). If you are new to studying counselling or psychotherapy you can view our introductory course video guide or you can look at our professional qualification routes by viewing our Video Training guide below.
Our introductory course has a new title: ‘Foundation Certificate in Couple Counselling and Psychotherapy'. We have changed the name of our introductory course to better reflect the level of training and learning. It is, and always has been, a foundation level entry course (stage 2 as defined by the BACP) and applicants need to be of graduate level and to be able to demonstrate an aptitude and capacity for working in the counselling profession. The new title and the more detailed entry requirements are now much clearer and, we believe, more helpful to those interested in applying.
The Foundation Certificate in Couple Counselling and Psychotherapy is suitable for applicants who have some basic understanding of psychotherapy and who are ready for the demands of a pre-year clinical training.
You can also read our careers guide to understand key definitions here.
We look forward to welcoming you to Tavistock Relationships.