Tavistock Relationships’ Summer School is an intensive CPD programme which offers students the opportunity to learn about couple work or to develop their existing practice. Most evenings are kept free for students to enjoy London’s rich arts calendar of theatre, concerts and exhibitions.
Location: Central London
Planned dates for 2019: Tuesday 9 July to Friday 12 July (Developing Skills in Couple Work Summer School); Tuesday 16 July to Friday 19 July (Advanced Couple Therapy Summer School)
The following schools are available for students depending on their level of experience:
- Developing Skills in Couple Work: for qualified professionals in individual, child, family & group therapy who are interested in finding out more about the couple relationship.
- Advanced Couple Therapy: an opportunity for qualified couple-trained therapists to explore theory and techniques in couple therapy.
Our summer school programmes are taught in Central London and are popular with professionals living in the UK as well as international students from countries across the globe. Tavistock Relationships is located on Warren Street in central London. Close to Euston Tube stations and St Pancras International railway station, we are in the heart of London with a diverse range of entertainment, shops, restaurants and bars in the area.
Developing Skills in Couple Work, International Summer School (SC5)
9-12 July 2019
This course is open to those interested in learning more about couple relationships and about working with couples from a psychodynamic perspective. It will be useful to individual counsellors and individual, child, family, group, psychotherapists, and those in the helping professions, such as clinical psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers. The course aims to:
- Introduce the central concepts used in understanding unconscious processes in couple interaction
- Offer a framework for understanding conscious and unconscious communication in couples that is grounded in theory, clinical case examples and seminar discussion
- Enable you to begin to make use of psychodynamic concepts in formulating and understanding the relationship aspect of your work with couples or individuals
- Give each participant the opportunity to present some work and learn from the work of others
Two lectures each day will include:
- Thinking about the Couple in Individual Work,
- Working with the Sexual Relationship,
- Unconscious Couple Fit,
- Countertransference and Transference in Couple Therapy,
- Shared Unconscious Beliefs.
There will also be two participant clinical presentations each day, providing an opportunity for attendees to discuss their own material in small groups led by psychoanalytic couple therapists.
Our four-day Advanced Summer School will take place from Tuesday July 16 to Friday July 19 2019.
It is for couple-trained therapists already working in the field and provides a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in cutting-edge thinking at a world-leading couple psychoanalytic psychotherapy institute in the heart of central London. The 2019 summer school will examine ideas around psychic space and psychic retreat and the development of psychic capacity.
You will learn and grow as a couple therapist through lectures and twice-daily intensive clinical discussion groups and will study alongside like-minded people from the UK and around the world. Seminars and clinical discussion groups will be led by Tavistock Relationships staff members, all experienced couple therapists, including Mary Morgan, Reader in Couple Psychoanalysis and Head of MA in Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, David Hewison, Head of Research and Ethics and programme leader of the Professional Doctorate in Couple Psychotherapy, and Andrew Balfour, CEO.
Former Summer School students:
I really enjoyed it. The rich variety of material I have been exposed to which has helped me to learn interactively and formulate many questions, carrying on reading and start the next stage of training.
Thoroughly enjoyed. It tested me in many ways - ways which maybe I expected but also ways which I didn't. Extremely positive experience.
How to apply
Developing Skills in Couple Work, International Summer School (SC5) - download the application form here.
To enquire about other 2019 summer schools or any of our vtrainings: email Training@TavistockRelationships.ac.uk
We request that all applications are completed in an electronic word processing document. Please DO NOT handwrite your submission.
We prefer applications to be sent via email to email@example.com
Or applications can be sent to:
Training Tavistock Relationships
70 Warren Street
London W1T 5PB
*Applications closing date: To be announced